Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Christopher Nolan's Epic Guide to Search Engines

There are a lot of things that I learned how to do today and it's hard to tell where to start so I'll just list my favorite things...

My favorite thing among what he explained was that typing " :site" at the end of whatever you're searching will limit the search to websites whereas if you typed, " :org" or " :gov" it'd be limited to the organization or government webpages. This would actually make it pretty easy to find legitimate information. The other thing that goes hand in hand with this is Google Scholar.



Google Scholar's even easier to use because after typing what you're looking up in the Google searchbar, you go to more - Google Scholar. With some of the journals that come up, you may have to be registered with the website to see the journal or scholarly article but nonetheless it's a legimate way to search for scholarly articles on Google.

The two more interesting functions that I saw on the chart here:

http://trinity.edu/cnolan/advanced_google.pdf

are the weather and flight status searches. By just typing in, "southwest 654" you can actually check the status of a flight using google. By typing, "Weather: 78212" you can get the weather reports for the zip code you entered.



The guide was definitely my favorite part and I'm saving it among my favorite links because it's got a lot of useful information.



Au revoir.

1 comment: